January 15, 2011

Towels & Trunks...

In Baisers volés, Delphine Seyrig explains to her young lover the difference between politeness and tact: ‘Imagine you inadvertently enter a bathroom where a woman is standing naked under the shower. Politeness requires that you quickly close the door and say, “Pardon, Madame!”, whereas tact would be to quickly close the door and say: “Pardon, Monsieur!”’ It is only in the second case, by pretending not to have seen enough even to make out the sex of the person under the shower, that one displays true tact.

When I read that quote, The first thing that went through my vain mind, was not, "I would be thank-god he didn't see me", but, "I would be embarrassed, yes, but I would be slightly mad at the guy to have thought I was a guy! I am sure he saw *something* and how could he have thought I was a guy! I think I would be rather sad".

Not related, but the above quote reminded me of the towel question. Long long time ago, someone asked me what I would do in the following situation: So you're in the shower when there's an earthquake and you have to rush out immediately. Now would you stop for that 1 second to collect the towel? Or knowing that you'd possibly be crushed under the building if you use that 1second to fetch the towel, would you then just run outside naked?

The above quote somehow also reminded me of something I heard many ages ago on Mtv. Remember they used to have those show where you called up the VJ and requested a song? During one of those shows, Nikhil Chinappa asked a caller a rather embarrassing(atleast then it was) question. "Would you keep the toilet door open if you knew there was no one in house?" And I remember wondering for many hours what I would do.

And I leave you to wonder, what would you do?

No comments: