January 28, 2011

Purple...

So there's this friend who insists on paying every time we go out for dinner or movies or whatever, and I have to literally fight with him for him to accept money***. And the other day, some 10 of us were sitting in an expensive cafe for some late night snacks. The bill came to a cool 7k, and like always, we started going through the bill to see who owed what. But this guy just went ahead and paid it all! The first thing that went through my mind was, "Is he mad?" and then second thing, "I would never marry this guy. He's so careless with his money! Who pays 7k just like that?" It's not that one can't spend money on one's friends, but those were all my friends! He didn't know anyone anyway! And paying for strangers?

I just found it funny how your perspectives change as you grow up. At one point, perhaps, I would have thought the gesture sweet. Now I think, stupid.

***I don't mind being pampered, but only if I am dating the guy. Otherwise, I can pay my own bills, thank you.

*****
I also think the few days/months before a guy gets married are the best times for him to openly flirt with other girls without being lynched. The to-be wife is busy preparing for the wedding, so she's not going to be bothered with what the guy does 24/7, and the guy? Well, everyone knows he's getting married in a few days, so well, you see, other girls are "safe" from him. He can flirt and hit on you and end it all with, "Hey I was just kidding, I am getting married to the love of my life in a few days after all!" And add an enthusiastic, "I can't wait for the day!" for extra safety. And also the girl can not complain about his flirtatious ways cause she'll be accused of "thinking too much" if she does. "He's a committed guy now." And so you have to put up with lingerie shopping with these soon-to-be-married guy friends and shop for Valentine's day for their sweet-to-be-wives :| Can anything be more torturous?

3 comments:

Dagny said...

Maybe he was trying to show-off or impress you or both by paying for not just you but even your friends (or maybe both!) :p

teacup said...

@Dagny, arghh! Who said money could buy affections! :S

Dagny said...

But does that deter people from trying? :)