January 11, 2011

Food Inc...

It's a given. Go with a guy to a tapri for chai or food and he will gross you out with horrid tales about how the food at these tapris is made. I have stopped eating samosas thanks to one such friend. Roadside kebabs thanks to another. I think twice before eating anything now thanks to my chef friend. In a way I have become paranoid. But I liked what my chef friend told me. We have stopped thinking about where our food comes from. We simply, eat. Without thinking. Have you ever wondered where all that seafood comes from in a place like Mumbai? Not from Mumbai, an island city with dirty polluted shores/seas where no sea life can thrive. Where then, do all those fishes and lobsters come from if not Mumbai?

I ate a watermelon today. It's not the season for watermelons, did I wonder where they came from? Those kiwis, those plums, those apples, those mangoes, that turkey, that pork, that chicken, that lettuce, those squishy tomatoes...ever paused and wondered about the food that goes inside your body?

I remember while I was waiting for my aloo paranthas, kulchas and lassi at Branwa da dhaba (brother's dhaba), apparently the most famous dhaba in Amritsar, a South Indian family on vacation was eating dosa and drinking bottled mango juice. Nothing grossly wrong in eating food that you like and are comfortable with. But if you want to eat the best food, remember, "When in Rome, do as Romans do". Eat more seasonal stuff for one. And two, it's common sense that no tapri is going to serve you first class chicken at Rs.35/-. So think about where that chicken came from next time you eat at a roadside stall. And think about what you're putting in your body next time you're having a buffet lunch at a five star hotel.

And, it is not, it's absolutely not, girly to eat healthy, like my guy friends will say it is :|

"I don't want to eat healthy, I just want to eat tasty."

Stupid I say :| You are after all, what you eat.

No comments: