December 13, 2010

Where Men Rule Over Gods...

On a cold wintry night like this, I snuggle up to you and you wrap your arms around me. We don't have much, but the love in your eyes is enough to keep me warm. And you look down at me, and you see the same warmth in my eyes and you smile. I ask you to tell me a story. I love your stories. And you pretend to think for a moment and I help you with suggestions. Not the dragon one you say, haven't I told you that like a 100 times already? But I love that one I say. And you know you are going to end up telling me the dragon one today. You kiss me on the lips and we settle down comfortably in each other arms. I am all ears, intently looking up at you and you have a smile on your lips. And then you begin telling me the story. I imagine you walking through the jungles, and fighting with the tiger and the bears and killing the Lion Witch with a deer's antler. And I hug you closer when you tell me about the bandits who kept you in the dungeon for days without any food. You see the tears rolling down my cheek and you tell me about the Fairies who helped you cross the River of Fire and I feel better knowing there was someone to help you, that you were not alone. And I even tease you about the Water Nymph who helped you cross the Eleven Rivers and reach the Tree of Fate. I know you come across the dragon Nidhog and the giant Odin next, there's a seriousness in your voice, a tremble. And I feel a chill, when you, staring into the space, tell me how at times you thought you would never make it alive. How you fought for days, months, till the leaves turned yellow and the Eleven Rivers froze. And the cold claws at my heart with the thought of losing you, what would I do without you? But then the wolves Mirmir and Skoll bring you the Flaming Sword and how proud I am when you tell me how you wrestled with the giant and slew the dragon with the Flaming Sword. And I clap like a little girl when you finally kill the giant. And you laugh and tell me about the happy part, where you cross the Rainbow Bridge and meet the Five Old Ladies who help you find the Tower. And then you rescue me from the Tower and how happy I was to see you again. We both go quiet, each thinking about the painful times when we were separated. The uncertain times when I waited for you with nothing but hope and you struggled to even stay alive. How I missed you. I rest my head on your chest and you kiss the top of my head and ask me to tell you a story. Your turn now you say. But I have only one story to tell I say. But you persist knowing I can never say no to you for anything. So we settle down again in each others arms and I tell you a story; the story of Prince Charming.

6 comments:

Prasoon said...

Nice.

Sudeep said...

:( :)

teacup said...

@Sudeep, what does that mean? :S I am confused.

Anonymous said...

Recursion ?

teacup said...

@Melissa, it's open to interpretation :)

Anonymous said...

I concurred Recursion. What was your take when you wrote it ?