November 11, 2010

Flowers That Can Fly...

So when Divya asked me who my best friends were, for a moment it reminded me of school days when you tried to have as many best friends as you could, 'cause having many best friends was supposed to be "cool".


And when D said, "we're two very different people, yet we are alike too", I realised in friendship that's a good thing. Being different is good. However, in a marriage, I am not even saying a relationship, in a marriage, I have come to realize that "similar" works and not different.


In a friendship, try to seek out varied and different people. There'll be much more learning. When it comes to marriage, try to look for someone who is similar. Who has same likes, dislikes, interests, goals and dreams. And this is completely opposite of what I used to think some 12 months back. I always thought two people who were alike would spell boredom in a marriage. But that just ain't true. It would be a generalization, but it takes many compromises and adjustments and a lot of "understanding" for two dissimilar people to work a marriage and more so when it's arranged.


Anyway, coming back to best friends, what makes a friend a best friend? I think the people I call best friends are the ones with whom I am not afraid to be myself. I can be me, whoever she is. Weird, flawed, good, awesome, bad. Grumpy, cranky, petty, bitchy, loving. Me. And they will not mind.


These people, they have seen the worst in me, the best, the good and the bad. And they are still around. I think that is what makes them special to me. That is what makes them "best friends" to me.


Who's your best friend?

No comments: